Saturday, 30 August 2014

Green and white flower girls dress.

 My sister got married over the summer and I made the girls flower girls dresses.
Dress is similar to the yellow dress I made for their birthday pictures below. Used green belts because green was one of the wedding colours.
Used two fabric types for this. cream duchess satin for the top and the rosette fabric for the skirt.
Built the top then used one piece rectangle rosette fabric for the skirt.
Folded the skirt up and hand hemmed.
The happy flower girls

Children with granparents

My Crew
No, I didn't make the dress/outfit I was wearing for the wedding. Funny thing is I did make my dress for the wedding then I left it at home and had to borrow a dress from my mum!!

There you have it. 
Till another project comes my way....

Orange and Brown Two Layer Dress

Made this dress as part of a wedding collection for an engagement party. Dress is with puff sleeves, two layer flare skirt with orange trimmings. Anything twirly is always a win-win with the girls.

Dress with fabric belt........

Chilling with big brother in our hotel

There you have it, thanks for stopping by.

Polka Dot Pillow case dress

Made one of the simplest dress for the girls.
I think the dress is really cool, but there is a 'but'........will tell you about it later.
Made it using a similar tutorial on line.
It is cut with a slight 'A', the black panel was added to house the elastic in the chest area and it is finished with zig-zag type lace straps.

To the but......
The girls didn't really take a liking to the dress!!!
Still haven't worn it and we've had it for about two months now 
Well, guess you win some and lose some.

Been off the grid for a while now.....
Hopefully am back with full force. ha.
Thanks for stopping by.

Friday, 11 April 2014

DIY BABIES: The Flare Dress with Tutorial.

This post was shared at Icandy Handmade. For DIY Babies series going on there.

 I want to assume that a mother with a baby/infant do not have much time in their hands for other things apart from the baby hence fast and simple projects is desirable
I am going to be showing you a little tutorial on how to convert the basic top pattern for a girl into a flare dress or top with only one closure at the back.

This dress was made for a one year old princess!

1. Take a basic front and back pattern fro a top bodice in the size you require, place this on your folded fabric. Determine the extra length you require for your dress, e.g.
Total length needed is 13". Length from shoulder to armhole is already 4" all you need to add is extra 9" to add to the pattern. Using a ruler draw a slant from the point where armhole ends down 9"
Measuring from the same line of the armhole keep marking the 9" mark on the fabric until you get to the end. This gives you a slant curve (as in picture below)

Slant line and curve drawn. Note: The back pattern in picture is of various sizes so it looks bigger than fabric cut out. I traced out the correct size.

(Note: Different fabric but same procedure)
2. You now have your two fabric pieces if both cut on a fold. Join shoulder seams together
3. Turn the armhole in about 1/4" and stitch down

4. Join the side seams.
5. Turn the hem under once and sew. (For this illustration I used a velvet fabric which meant there was no fraying involved. That's why I just turn under once to sew the armhole, neckline and hem! Just like for a knit fabric.

6. I cut an opening at the back for easy wearing and taking off. Finish the edge using a piece of the fabric as in when sewing on a bias binding. then finish the neckline also by turning in once and sewing.
I then used a press stud snap popper for the back closure.

7. For decorative purposes only, I cut stripes of the fabric and sewed this on at the hem, I then pulled the ribbon through it and stitched down the ribbon all the way round the edge avoiding the belt loops.

Dress can be tied into a bow or in my own case I cut the extra ribbon off and just made a little flat bow in front.

I must say that since this dress is cut on a bias, the ribbon is completely straight so I had to iron it down to sit well round the dress. If it was a rectangular cut skirt or dress this ribbon trim will work better.
I made this white top below for my daughter. It turned out OK but next time I will make a flutter sleeve instead of a flared one like I did here.

So there you have it. A dress made in little or no time!
Visit my blog ZoeEden Designs to see a few more simple tutorials and other designs.
Thanks Auntie and Jen for having me. Wishing you the best in life.Thanks to all the readers for taking time out to read this post.