Tuesday 17 July 2012

Purple Dress Jacket


I have wanted to make the girls a summer jacket since the begining of summer ! Finally got around to making it. Normally i love "quick and easy" but with this project i decided to spend more time...




...so I decided to make a fully lined jacket to include a collar and pockets. Buttons on sleeve hem and shirring was also added later. Shirring came about when I decided the jacket was a bit big and wanted to make it fitted. Buttons on hem came about when 'daddy' said the jacket needed 'extra wow factor.!'

'Take this sis'

I decided to have this photo shoot in the park since well, jackets are outdoor clothing. their purple jacket seems to match the playgronud. lol

Wheeeee.........
Can you see the button detail on sleeve?
Jacket E used.
This was available from 3-8 yrs, as I wanted it smaller I scaled it down. Does anyone want to know how to scale a pattern down? Haven't really seen the tutorial but could do one if anyone is interested.

Different buttons used for girl jackets
I was going to use the deep pink buttons thoughout but lost two buttons so had to go for a slightly different type of pink.


Fully Lined
Jacket was fully lined including the sleeves!!

Shirring detail.



The pocket detail.

Added a bit more colour by inserting this colourful striped fabric into the purple fabric to make the pockets.
See, I did take my time. Remember I had to make two of everything. The shirring bit was done 8!! times, i.e done on left and right sides, thats 4 times and separately for lining also.

So why did I call this a 'dress jacket' you say? well its the length of a dress.
In hind sight a summer jacket shouldn't be knee length rather just below the waist. Not a problem we will use this for autume then, ha.
Thanks for reading. Hope you have been inspired.
Regards.














2 comments:

  1. I love all your dresses and clothes. They are very colorful and creative. I have a girl as well and I wish I can just dress her like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. pareo

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, Please leave a message, Thanks